Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Urban Composting--carbon carbon everywhere but not a drop to decompose

I have started composting over the past month. I live with my girlfriend on the seventh floor of a 25 story apartment building in Manhattan. We have small balcony on which I can play around with decomposing matter. I have the material in a 5 gallon bucket and a small cardboard box now, but the volume quickly grows and I will need to expand again soon. The material has a pretty strong ammonia smell, which is a symptom of excess nitrogen. It is tough keeping up with the kitchen waste even for the two of us because it is hard to find decent moisture absorbing carbon sources in the neighborhood. Right now I am using mostly discarded newspapers, cardboard boxes, and brown paper bags that I tear up. No matter how much carbon I add right now, it is still too much nitrogen!

I see this process as exciting and empowering. Composting in the ultra-urban context that I am in poses many challenges that require creative problem solving. I am trying to divert waste streams in the neighborhood by searching for carbon sources on the street. I want to create a speedy system, which means hot compost, which means a lot of mass and a lot of carbon. I want to reduce odors and flying insects and maintain proper moisture and oxygen levels, which again means monitoring the carbon. I want to reduce the amount of labor I put in, which is intensive now. I have to search for and tear up or cut the carbon, which takes time and tires out my hands. I have to turn the piles more often than they need because they are too moist right now. To the dismay of my girlfriend, I am passionately committed to my compost and fascinated by what I turn up. I am noticing a lot of white, blue, and green molds right now. Molds are fungi, which are part of the organisms that decompose organic matter, but are these molds part of the composting process? They thrive in the moist, relatively cool environment of my bin, but are they the early feeders in a long line of detritus loving microorganisms? Do they thrive in warmer, less moist environments? I will find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment